Friday, March 19, 2010

19 March 2010

Observing LocationDT
Observational Period2145-2330 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
While technically it was clear it wasn’t really clear. We had thought it was going to be better than it was but there was a high haze or altostratus layer up there that was filtering out the fainter stars.
Temperature64° F
WindCalm
We didn’t feel any wind but the flags on top of the Plaza were standing out.
Wind Chill
Heat Index
°F
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure29.88" Hg
Rising
KNYC METAR
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyFair
SeeingI-II
InstrumentsWest Marine Raiatea 7x50 binocular – Charlie
Celestron 22x70 binocular - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

Target&epsilon Aurigae
ConstellationAur
CategoryVariable Star
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100319.2145 EDT
Commentsε Aur was equal to and probably fainter than ζ Aur. Peter could see both of them naked eye but I needed the binocular to see anything other than Capella.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100319.2200 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation176.70°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
8.51 AU
1 h 11m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.50 AU
Angular Size19.5"x17.4"
Ring
Angular
Size
44.1"x2.49"
Ring
Inclination
-3.24 °
Magnitude0.5
Altitude28.72°

Starry Night Starter graphic
I thought I was detecting a moon close to the planet and close to the rings on the trailing edge of the planet. When we checked SatMoons on the Palm it indicated that Dione was there. While I was seeing Dione I did not see . I did not see brighter Rhea which is farther from the planet on the other side though.

This was intended to be a short session and environmental conditions did nothing to cause us to want to extend it. The views were not that good and the music coming from the Wollman skating rink was very loud and obnoxious.

Stellarium graphic
Stellarium graphic
Stellarium graphic
Virtual Moon Atlas graphic