Monday, February 8, 2010

8 February 2009

Observing LocationPier 17
Observational Period0330-0430 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature23° F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
Wind Chill Effect12° F
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.91" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeVery Cold

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingExcellent
InstrumentsWest Marine 7x50 Raiatea binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

The temperature is a little warmer than it was yesterday morning but the humidity is also a little higher so it feels colder.

While waiting for the Shuttle launch I observed two bright stars on either side of a tall building with illuminated antenna mast. As bright as they were I knew they must have a name but didn’t recognize them. Then I saw Mars a little to the left and knew that they were Castor and Pollus. I observed Mars and M44 in the binocular.

Stellarium graphic
To the east of Mars was a string of bright stars that kind or reminded me of Hydra and I did recognize Corvus beneath it but thought Corvus and Crater were above Hydra. Now that I see a star chart I know that I missed seeing Leo and Saturn.
Stellarium graphic
I had a finder made up for M80, M4, M6 and M7 but didn’t want to use the Palm until after all my Shuttle launch alarms had gone off and by then I was cold enough and sore enough that I wanted to go home.

OBSERVED

TimeLaunch
Probablility
1953 EST
7Feb10
weather currently
No Go
2043 EST40%
weather currently
No Go
2114 ESTweather currently
Go
2345 ESTweather currently
Go
0145 EST
8Feb10
weather currently
No Go
0218 ESTweather currently
No Go
0312 ESTweather at all three European abort landing strips is No Go
0321 ESTlocal weather currently Go
European abort sites No Go
0340 ESTlocal weather currently Go
0351 ESTabort sites weather No Go
0400 ESTlocal weather currently Go
Zaragoza abort site weather acceptable
0401 ESTGo for launch
0414:17 ESTLiftoff

I had just about given up on a launch this morning when I saw something bright over NJ. I watched for a while and finally decided that it must be a plane or helicopter even though I couldn't see any navigation lights. It didn't change direction and was not where I expected the Shuttle to come from. As I turned around to check the time on the Watchtower clock across the river I saw something bright and golden moving north beneath the Moon. That was at 0422 EST according to the Watchtower clock. I knew it had to be the shuttle and worked to get it into my binoculat FoV. Just after I found it the engines cut off then flared again briefly. During that time the alarm for MECO that was set for 0422 EST went off. I continued to track the anticipated trajectory of the Shuttle and saw several flashes of white light which were the RCS jets firing to increase separation from the ET and control Shuttle orientation. MECO was confirmed by Endeavout at 0422 EST.

TargetMoon
ConstellationOph
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100208.0425 EST
Comments
Lunation1077
PhaseWaning Crescent
Age24d 2h 12m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
397,450 km
1.32s
Elongation62.30° W
% Illuminated26.9%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)201.2°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)21.2°
Libration in Latitude4° 24'
Libration in Longitude6° 57'
Magnitude-8.9
Angular Size30.07'
Altitude8° 2'
Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

In SunlightFeatureIn Shadow
<<< Promontorium Laplace 
  Copernicus >>>
<<< Wilhelm 
<<< Longomontanus 

The Moon never rose tonight until close to time for the Shuttle launch. I observed it quickly before leaving.

The terminator was passing down through the middle of Mare Imbrium.