Wednesday, February 10, 2010

10 February 2010

"Much of my memory's gone completely. I am very old, you see. Startlingly old. Yes, I think if I were to tell you how old I was it would be fair to say that you would be startled. Odds are that so would I, because I can't remember. I've seen an awful lot, you know. Forgotten most of it, thank God. Trouble is, when you start getting to my age, Which, as I think I mentioned earlier, is a somewhat starteling one -- did I say that?"

"Yes, you mentioned it."

"Good. I'd forgotten whether I had or not. The thing is that your memory doesn't actually get any bigger, and a lot of stuff just falls out. So you see, the major difference between someone of my age and someone of yours is not how much I know, but how much I've forgotten. And after a while you even forget what it is you've forgotten, and after that you even forget that there was something to remember. Then you tend to forget, er, what it was you were even talking about."

Reg
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Douglas Adams