Tuesday, December 1, 2009

1 December 2009




Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2015-2115 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScatterd Clouds
with Haze
Temperature44° F
WindLight Breeze
The flag on Belvedere Castle is standing straight out to the SE indicating a Gentle Breeze up there.
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.10“ Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool and Raw

TransparencyGood
SeeingThe stars are changing brightness as the clouds pass through.
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Peter had sent me an email forwarding intelligence from John Pazmino that this lunation is the last time the Moon will pass through the Pleiades until 2024. I thought I might find him out to observe the Moon and M45 even if the transit was over so walked up to TotL on the park drive past Drip Rock in case he decided to observe there but didn’t find him at either location.

When I got home I checked the Moon’s location in Cartes du Ciel and found that the transit had been a daytime event. While I was in the program I figured out how to record a video which I was going to include here but I can't get the file size small enough to upload it.


Stellarium graphic
  • Gemini is rising laying on Pollux’s side. I can see ι Gem (Mag. 3.79), ε Gem (Mag. 2.98), ζ Gem (Mag. 3.79), ξ Gem (Mag. 3.36), ν Gem (Mag. 4.15), μ Gem (Mag. 2.88, ε Gem (Mag. 3.28) and 1 Gem (Mag. 4.16).
  • Auriga is ~50° up in the NE. ε Aur (nominally Mag 2.99) and &zetz; Aur (Mag. 3.75) are close enough in brightness that I am having trouble deciding which is the brighter but if I were forced to pick one I would have to give the nod to ε Aur. η Aur (Mag. 3.17) is definitely the brightest of the trio.
  • The Moon is to the upper left of Arcturus. I don’t see any sign of M45.
  • Orion is just starting to come out of the trees with only Betelgeuse in the clear. Later I saw Alnitak, Alnilam, and Mintaka through the trees and Rigel in the clear. I also saw π2 Ori (Mag. 3.19), π4 Ori (Mag. 3.69) and π5 (Mag.3.72) in the shield.
  • In the SSE I occasionally see η Eri (Mag. 3.89) and at roughly the same altitude in the SSW over Citicorp β Cet (Mag. 2.04)
  • Jupiter (Mag. -2.3) was near the apartment building with two towers in the W. (I think it is the one where John Lennon lived.)
  • Cygnus is setting into the dormitory tree. I can only see Deneb (Mag. 1.25), ε Cyg (Mag. 2.46), γ Cyg (Mag. 2.20) and δ Cyg (Mag. 2.87).
  • Vega is behind the tree near the lamp to the west of the observing location.
  • Cassiopeia is high overhead. I can see all five of the main stars, η Cas (Mag. 3.44) and ζ Cas (Mag. 3.66).
  • Perseus is next to Cas. I can see all three of the steeple stars, α and δ Per, β and ρ Per, and ε Per (Mag. 2.89). I also occasionally see some of the Alpha Perseus Association and something out between α and β Per. I don’t see any of the fishhook.
  • Pegasus is high in the WSW.
  • Andromeda is stretching out high overhead with only the strong chain visible.
  • The Little Dipper (UMi) is hanging from Polaris
  • I can’t find hide nor hair of the Great Bear (UMa and the Big Dipper).
  • The first bend of Draco is above the tree by the western lamp.
  • Aries is high overhead to the SE.

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20091201.2015 EST
Comments
Lunation1074
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age15.25d
Full - 7.25h
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
363,900 km
s
Elongation°
% Illuminated99.9%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)90.1°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)270.1°
Libration in Latitude-4° 19'
Libration in Longitude-3° 28'
Magnitude-12.58
Angular Size32.8'
Altitude46° 34'
Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

When I looked in Virtual Moon Atlas I thought I must have had the date of the Full Moon wrong in my calendars. I could not see any terminator on the depiction of the Moon and that is exactly what I saw in the sky. The Moon looks like it is at the moment of being 100% illuminated. But the ephemeris data says that 0.1% of the SW limb is still in shadow.

The Moon is to the upper left of Arcturus.

Cartes du Ciel graphic

It is very bright and casts a shadow even when I am near the street light. At the normal observing location by the storm drain its shadow is darker than that of the street lights. It is bright enough that I can write my notes without having to move over to the street lights. The light it casts has a bluish cast. The uplands are so right that I am having trouble seeing the maria. I can’t really make out Mare Imbrium of Oceanus Precellarum. They are nondescript gray areas but enough there to hint at the rabbit.

Of the Man in the Moon I can see his left eye and nose and part of his lips.
With difficulty I can see the whole rabbit.
I can see the body and legs of the man carrying sticks and maybe the head, but no sticks and no dog.
I don’t see the woman at all. Each time I try I see the man.
For the face I don’t see its right eye or nose.

On the way home I stopped off at the obelisk (Cleopatra’s Needle). The elements have weathered away all of the hieroglyphics on the western face and it is dark enough that had there been anything remaining I think I would have had trouble “reading” it. The south face has had the two western columns of hieroglyphics erased but the eastern column is mostly readable. I can see it well enough to describe the glyphs. The eastern side is easy to read all the way to the top of the tower due to the moon shining on it. The northern side can be read well and it is easy to see all the glyphs even though the Moon isn’t shining full on it.

It is amazing to think that the ancient Egyptians were able to not only move something that big but stand it vertically without modern machinery.