Wednesday, March 4, 2009

4 March 2009

I don't understand this. It appeared on the NASA web page yesterday.
In anticipation of a firm launch date, the astronauts will be preflight quarantined in Johnson's Astronaut Quarantine Facility Thursday evening to keep them isolated from potential infections.
I think they have to spend five days in there. But then they fly trom Texas to Florida and stand out on the runway in the open air for a press briefing.



Observing LocationBowery @ Houston St, New York, NY
Observational Period1715-1730 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature34° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.30" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeCold

The sky is very white in the SW where Venus is.

TransparencyGood
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetVenus
ConstellationPsc
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1715 EST
CommentsEven in a very white sky Venus was easily seen. I crossed the street and couldn’t recover it, assumedly it was hidden by the buildings on the south side of Houston St.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
PhaseWaning Crescent
Elongation31.57° E
% Illuminated15.4%
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
0.3480573 AU
2m 53.70s
Distance
(from Sun)
AU
Angular Size47.92"
Magnitude-4.6
Altitude37.0198°



Observing LocationMulberry Branch Library (ML), Mulberry Street @ Jersey Street, New York, NY
Lat.: 40° 43’ 25.43” Long.: -73° 59’ 43.9”
This location seems to be darker than Bowery @ E 3 St. I was able to see Orion’s Sword and more stars in Gemini tonight than I have previously seen.
Observational Period1930-2015 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature32° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.34" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool

It feels milder now than it did when I was out previously.

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye – Charlie
Naked-eye - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

I was walking north on Bowery and heard someone call my name and it was Kin. He was going over to Mulberry Street Branch Library so I walked with him. When we left there it was nice and dark and I looked up and saw the Gemini twins so we did a little naked-eye observing along the ecliptic.

You only get to see a small strip of sky on this narrow street so we had to move south a bit to get better views to the west between buildings. We tried for Arcturus but it was always blocked by buildings.

TargetGemini
ConstellationGem
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1945 EST
Comments
BayerNameMag.
αCastor1.58
εMebsuta2.98
μTejat2.88
var
ηPropus3.20
1 4.20
βPollux1.14
γAlhena1.93
ξAlzirr3.36

TargetOrion
ConstellationOri
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1945 EST
Comments
BayerNameMag. 
αBetelgeux0.50
var
 
γBellatrix1.64 
ζAlnitak1.77Orions Belt
εAlnilam1.70
δMintaka2.23
var
βRigel0.12
var
 
θ 3.70Orion’s Sword
 Trapezium
Great Nebula
 
iota&;Hatysa2.80

TargetTaurus
ConstellationTau
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1945 EST
Comments
BayerNameMag.
αAldeberan0.85
var
βElnath1.65
ζAlheka3.00
I detected the Pleiades by its shape but was not able to identify individual stars.

TargetAuriga
ConstellationAur
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1945 EST
Comments
 
BayerNameMag. 
αCapella0.08 
εAlmazz2.99
var
The Kids
ζSadatoni3.75
var
η 3.17
ιHassaleh2.69 
βMenkalina1.90 
θ2.62 

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1930 EST
CommentsI thought the Moon was over β Tau but on pulling up an interactive sky chart to confirm that I see that it was over α Tau. That throws into doubt my observations of Taurus and Auriga.
Lunation1065
PhaseFirst Quarter
Age7.95481d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
369,887.2 km
1.23s
Elongation99.12° E
% Illuminated58.1%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)°
Libration in Latitude°
Libration in Longitude°
Magnitude-10.3
Angular Size32' 18.55"
Altitude72.0340°

TargetSirius
ConstellationCMa
CategoryStar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1945 EST
Comments
BayerNameMag.
αSirius-1.46

TargetBig Dipper
ConstellationUMa
CategoryAsterism
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.1945 EST
Comments
BayerNameMag.
αDubhe1.79
βMerak2.37
γPhecda
(Phad)
2.44
δMegrez3.31
εAlioth1.77
var
ζMizar2.09
ηAAlkaid1.86
I looked for but was not able to split Alcor from Mizar.

When we had finished observing we walked north on Lafayette street to Union Square. There we split up and I went back down Bowery. Down around E 6 St I saw Arcturus and down by E 4 St I figured out what Procion was.

If I had a better knowledge of the sky or had had a sky chart with me I might have found Leo and Comet Lulin which should have been up by then but might still be too faint to be seen naked-eye from The City.

TargetArcturus
ConstellationBoo
CategoryStar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.2015 EST
Comments
BayerNameMag.
αArcturus-0.04

TargetProcion
ConstellationCMi
CategoryStar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090304.2015 EST
Comments
BayerNameMag.
αProcion0.38