| Observing Location | Union Square Park, New York, NY
Lat.: 40° 44′ 9.54″
Long.: 73° 59′ 26.48″
Union Square Park is a surprisingly good place to observe. There is a fair amount of sky visible but that will decrease when the trees leaf out. I saw the head stars of Orion but not the Sword and detected the Pleiades.
|
| Observational Period | 1950-2015 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Scattered Clouds |
| Temperature | 44° F |
| Wind | Calm |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.26" Hg Steady |
| Feels Like | Cool |
The clouds have been building and dissipating this evening. When I first went out I could see stripes of gray but it was mostly clear.
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Iridium 33 Debris Visible Pass |
| Constellation | |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20090325.2007 EDT |
| Comments | Spaceweather has had pictures of the largest piece of Iridium 33 flaring as it tumbles across the sky. The orbital elements of the piece have been determined and visible pass predictions are being posted in the Spaceweather satellite tracking tool. Unfortunately they only tell you where it breaks the horizon and how high it will bet but not shat direction it is moving in. I looked but had a high horizon so had to scan a lot of sky to try and find it at culmination and missed it. I don’t know how much steady light I am looking for and how much flare to expect.
| Rises | 2007 EDT | Az. | SSW |
| Culminates | 2012 EDT | Alt. | 52° |
| Mag. | 2.6 |
|
|---|
|
STS-119 undocked form the ISS this evening. There is a dual ISS/STS-119 visible pass tonight with close separation but it is short and disappears below my local horizon. There are a couple of passes tomorrow, one of which will be longer and higher but with less separation, but it is supposed to rain tomorrow.