Thursday, May 8, 2008

5 May 2008

Observing LocationCDLD
Observational Period0930-0945 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature57°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.12" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080505.0930 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 23s
Angular Size31' 45.6"
Altitude40.4°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-3.67°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
105.98°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-23.18°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2069

Spaceweather shows Group 933 in the southern hemisphere but I can’t even find it in the high resolution SOHO image.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationWhite Plains Road @ Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1930-2015 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
increasing to
Broken Clouds
Temperature61°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.99" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCool

TransparencyPoor
Seeing
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie Naked-eye – Charlie Cokin P 003 Red photographic filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetFirst Crescent Moon
ConstellationAri
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080505.1930 EDT
Comments
Lunation1056
PhaseFirst Crescent
Age11h 11m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
356,499 km
1.19s
Elongation8.3° E
% Illuminated0.4%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)227.4°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)47.4°
Libration in Latitude-6° 09'
Libration in Longitude-1° 33'
Magnitude-4.9
Angular Size33.52'
Altitude10° 48'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

I hadn’t really expected to see this moon, but went out this morning prepared to attempt it anyway. When I left the library it looked too cloudy (I was able to look directly at the sun without discomfort) to have a chance but after I got home I went back out anyway. Peter had sent an email saying that it would be a world record as well as a team and personal one if we got it.

Conditions had further deteriorated by the time I got to my observing location and continued to get worse as I stood there waiting for the sun to set. After the sun was gone I thought I saw clear patches of sky through the binocular but when I looked naked eye it was evident that I was looking at stripes of darker or lighter cloud.

1955 EDTSunset
Civil Twilight begins
2026 EDTCivil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
2103 EDTNautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins
2143 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends
2144 EDTMoon sets