Thursday, May 29, 2008

25 May 2008

Observing LocationMcGraw Ave @ Unionport Rd, Bronx, NY
Lat.: 40° 50' 8.58"
Long.: -73° 51' 21.23"
Observational Period0345-0400 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature55°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.06" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCool

Mag 6 stars kept coming and going in the binocular.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

0332 EDTAstronomical Twilight begins

I didn’t see any sign of the approaching Sun or of twilight of any description.

TargetIridium Flare
ConstellationAqr
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.0341 EDT
CommentsThe object was to see this Mag -7 Iridium flare but I didn’t get up when the alarm went off so didn’t make it to a viewing location until after the flare had occurred.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time0341:48 EDT 
Alt.28° 
Az.114°
ESE
 
Mag.-7 
Surface  

TargetMoon
ConstellationSgr
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.0345 EDT
CommentsThe Moon looked slightly gibbous with a lit up irregular cloud surrounding it.
Lunation1056
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age18d 19h 26m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
391,853 km
1.33s
Elongation133.6° W
% Illuminated68.3%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)165.4°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)345.4°
Libration in Latitude1° 41'
Libration in Longitude-6° 43'
Magnitude-11.4
Angular Size30.49'
Altitude25° 29'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

TargetJupiter
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.0350 EDT
CommentsI could not split the moons with my hand-held 7x binocular. The planet looks like a bright Saturn, elongated along the equator.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation131.5° W
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
4.47 AU
37m 10s
Distance
(from Sun)
5.20 AU
Angular Size44.1" x 41.2"
Magnitude-2.5
Central Meridian
I/II
60°/44°
Altitude27.8°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetNeptune
Constellation Cap
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.0355 EDT
CommentsSomething popped into view faintly a couple of times where Neptune is supposed to be and there isn’t supposed to be anything brighter there.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation99.3° W
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
29.9 AU
4h 8m
Distance
(from Sun)
30.0 AU
Angular
Size
2.24"
Magnitude7.9
Altitude24.8°

0418 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
0458 EDTNautical Twilight ends
Civil Twilight begins
0530 EDTCivil Twilight ends



Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1400-1430 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature76° F
WindCalm
gusting to
Light Breeze
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.05" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 Newtonian reflector - Charlie
  • CelEDTron Omni 20mm (21x)
  • CelEDTron Omni 2x Barlow
- w/Baader AstroSolar filter film w/Baader AstroSolar filter film
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationTau
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.1415 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 25s
Angular Size31' 37.6"
Altitude64.3°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-1.38°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
198.84°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-17.54°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2070

Nothing Seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationMcGraw Ave @ White Plains Rd
Observational Period2045-2145 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature66° F
WindCalm
gusting to
Gentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.05" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeMild

Thick cloud on the western horizon to 5-10° elevation; stripes of cloud elsewhere.
Some of the stars are disappearing when a thin cloud passes but I think I am seeing more tonight between the clouds than I did last night from the same location.

TransparencyFair-Good
SeeingII-III
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular – Charlie
Going for aperture to try and pull out M44
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

2015 EDTSunset
Civil Twilight begins

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.2045 EDT
CommentsSaturn is following Regulus down the ecliptic.

Starry Night Starter graphic
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation87.9° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
9.29 AU
1h 17m
Distance
(from Sun)
9.31 AU
Angular Size17.8" x 15.8"
Ring
Angular
Size
40.4" x 6.81"
Ring
Inclination
9.7°
Magnitude+0.7
Altitude54.4°

Meridian graphic

2047 EDTCivil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.2103 EDT
CommentsThe ISS seemed brighter than Mag 0 and I was surprised to see it at twilight given my prior experience of not seeing brighter Iridium flares close to sunset.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
  
s  
Time2103:13 EDT2105:47 EDT2108:22 EDT
Alt.10°28°10°
Az.WNNWNE
Mag-0.1
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2101:01 EDT2105:44 EDT2110:29 EDT
Alt.horizon28.3°horizon
Az.257.2°
WSW
332.6°
NNW
48.0°
NE
Mag0.7-1.5-0.5

TargetMars
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.2110 EDT
CommentsMars is bracketed between Acellus Australis and Asutralis Borealis. I think there is a patch of wispy sky E of Mars that should be M44 but it is very faint and only just detected. There is a faint point of light outside of M44 (η Cnc) forming an equilateral triangle with the Acelluses.

Starry Night Starter graphic
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation64.1° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
1.84 AU
15m 16s
Distance
(from Sun)
1.66 AU
Angular Size5.1"
Magnitude1.4
Central Meridian 257°
Altitude38.8°

TargetOrion
ConstellationOri
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080525.2115 EDT
CommentsI could see Betelgeuse NE and just above the buildings. I found Belatrix nearly right below Betelgeuse. Altitak, Alnilam and Mintaka were setting into the buildings. I was surprised to see any of Orion this late in the year.

2127 EDTNautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins

I stayed out until 2145 EDT, by which time my back was getting sore, hoping to get a better view of M44 and Mars as the sky got darker but it didn’t help. I may need to bring the scope out. Mars and M44 will just fit in the low power FoV but I will loose the Aselluses which are 3.3° apart.
[Mars is drifting away from M44 and they will not be in the same FoV beyond tomorrow night. I think I have missed my chance.]

2213 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends