Monday, May 19, 2008

19 May 2008

Observing LocationCDLD
Observational Period09030-0945 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature52° F
WindLight Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.49" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCool

There are fair weather cumulus low moving to the SE and stationare cirrus above them. The wind is gusting briskly. They are saying a chance of rain this afternoon but it doesn’t seem likely.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationTau
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080519.0930 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 25s
Angular Size31' 40.2"
Altitude42.4°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-22.2°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
249.07°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-19.85°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2070

Space Weather says groups 994 and 996 are still there but I still can’t see them. Active Regions Explorer says that 996 has increased in size by at least 50% and that 994 has either stayed the same size or increased or decreased in size by less than 25%.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



NASA has just confirmed that they intend to launch on Saturday, 31May08 at 1702 EDT.

There are seven future shuttle launches that are required to complete assembly of ISS. There are two contingency flights to launch spare parts if necessary and one launch for repair of the Hubble Space Telescope. They feel good that they will be able to get all of the seven required flights off the ground before the shuttle fleet is required at the end of FY 2010.

1 in 20 probabliity that the Soyuz would be required for an emergency landing over six months but they don't have an assessment of it's reliability for a normal return. So they will risk having to use the Soyuz in a possible emergency while it would not be an acceptible craft for routine use.

At the end of the press conference I got a strong impression that NASA's primary concern is more with schedule than with safety.



Observing LocationMcGraw Ave @ White Plains Rd, Bronx, NY
Observational Period2310-2325 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature53° F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure29.70" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCool

I had wanted to go out to observe the Moon tonight but it was still windy when I went home around 1900 EDT so I decided not to go back out after dinner. But it is calm and clear.

The Moon is washing everything out, I see very few stars and couldn’t even tell what constellation the Moon was in.

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye – Charlie
I planned to bring the binoculkars out with me to look at the Moon and looked right at it while getting ready but forgot to pick it up when I was stuffing my pockets
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationLib
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080519.2310 EDT
Comments
Lunation
PhaseFull
58m
Age14d 14h 51m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
404,735 km
1.35s
Elongation175° W
% Illuminated100.0%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)90.0°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)270.0°
Libration in Latitude7° 11'
Libration in Longitude0° 48'
Magnitude-12.5
Angular Size29.52'
Altitude20° 12'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

I was looking at the Moon remarking how round it was thinking it would be not be full until tomorrow or the day following when, in fact, it was full less than an hour ago.

TargetIridium 3 Flare
ConstellationCrt
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080519.2321 EDT
CommentsThe flare was earlier and farther west than predicted. Unless I caught it much after its brightest, it also wasn’t as bright as predicted, at least on Heavens Above. The magnitude extimate from CalSky is more realistic but possibly still generous. I saw it as a bright gold flare moving horizontally to the west at ~245°.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time2322:50 EDT2322:48 EDT
Alt.24°24.4°
Az.237°
WSW
237.1°
WSW
Mag.-6-4.1
Surface MMA0
I am reasonably certain that this is just coincidence but in looking at the flare listings I noticed three flares that drift earlier in time, up and to the west on the next three days,
DateTimeAltAz.MagSatellite
19May082322:50 EDT24°237°-6Iridium 3
20May082316:52 EDT25°239°-6Iridium 76
21May082310:56 EDT27°240°-1Iridium 46