Monday, May 12, 2008

11 May 2008

Observing LocationHome
Observational Period0245-0305 EDT
When I went to bed I had set the alarm for 0230 EDT to get up to see a bright Iridium flare. My neighbor was entertaining one of his very vocally appreciative girlfriends so I had a lot of trouble getting to sleep and wasn't all that interested in getting ou at 0230 but did anyway. It was still noisy when I got back so I documented the observation and was still disturbed when I tried to get back to sleep at 0400 EDT.
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature55°F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.88" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeCool

It seemed a little murky down around Jupiter. I could only find Nunki in the Teapot.

TransparencyGood
SeeingII
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetJupiter
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080511.0245 EDT
CommentsI had checked Planetarium and knew that the satellite should appear between Jupiter and Altair. When I left the apartment there was a bright object low over the buildings across the street that could only be Jupiter so I just moved up the block a bit to find a place where I could see all the sky above the houses and below the trees that included both Jupiter and Altair.

Jupiter looks a little golden. I was not able to see any moons in the small hand-held binodular.

Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation118.6°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
4.64 AU
38m 36s
Distance
(from Sun)
5.20 AU
Angular Size42.4"x39.7"
Magnitude-2.4
Central Meridian
I/II
126°/210°
Altitude18.6°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetAquila
ConstellationAql
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080511.0250 EDT
CommentsI could easily see Altair and Tarazed and then found the tip of the right wing, Deneb el Okab, and the heart, δ Aql.

TargetCygnus
ConstellationCyg
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080511.0250 EDT
CommentsI saw three bright stars in a large right triangle (Deneb, Sadr and Glenah Cygni) and had to look in Planetarium to see what they might be. After I knew what constellation I was in I could locate the break of the right wing.

TargetLyra
ConstellationLyr
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080511.1150 EDT
CommentsI saw and teo of the stars of the parallelogram, probably Sheliak and Sulafat.

TargetIridium 34 Flare
ConstellationAql
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080511.0302 EDT
CommentsI was checking the location where the flare should occur in Planetarium and when I looked up it was already in progress moving from horizontally R to L above and to the left of Jupiter and as bright as Jupiter and already fading. I followed it for a good while as it faded a good distance below Altair.
 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time0302:22 EDT0302:23 EDT
Alt.28°28.1
Az.132°131.6°
Mag.-4-4.2
Surface MMA0
front antenna



Observing LocationPSC
The trees are in full leaf and the number of benches where I can see the sun at this time of day is now greatly diminished.
Observational Period1300-1315 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered to Broken Clouds
Temperature61°F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.86" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeFair

The gusts make it feel cool. The clouds are cirrus thickening and lowering to stratus in anticipation of rain tomorrow.

TransparencyFair
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080511.1300 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 24s
Angular Size31' 42.9"
Altitude68.0°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-3.00°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
24.72°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-21.75°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2069

Nothing seen.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)