I went up to TotL tonight specifically to watch for meteors. We are between the peaks of the Southern Taurids meteors and the Northern Taurids meteors so I thought I might have a chance of seeing a late Southern Taurid or an early Northern Taurid, or another early Leonid.
| Meteor Stream | Active Dates | Peak | ZHR | Source |
| Orionids | 15-29Oct | 21Oct 0400 UT | 20 | Halley's Comet |
| Southern Taurids | 17Sep-27Nov | 5Nov 0500 UT | 10 | Comet Encke |
| Northern Taurids | 12Oct-2Dec | 12Nov 0400 UT | 15 | Comet Encke |
| Leonids | 13-20Nov | 17Nov 0800 UT | 20 | Comet Temple-Tuttle |
| hh / mm | 00-29 | 30-59 |
|---|
| 19 | | |
|---|
| 20 | | |
|---|
| 21 | | |
|---|
| 22 | | |
|---|
| 23 | | |
|---|
| Legend | |
|---|
| Southern Taurids Meteors | 0 |
| Northern Taurids Meteors | 0 |
| other meteors | 0 |
| Total Meteors Observed | 0 |
I had thought about traveling light with just extra clothes, binocular, and folding chair but since I didn't know if Peter would be going out I also took the Min Mak and tripod so I could get a good look at Jupiter. I am glad that I did. Io had just finished a transit when Jupiter rose above the trees at 1930 and when I left at 2400 Europa was preparing to be occulted by the planet so they appeared to be rotating the planet in opposite directions. Seeing was very good tonight which resulted in the bands not fading and also being visible over most of the diameter of the planet.
| 1930 EST | |
| 2030 EST | |
| 2130 EST | |
| 2230 EST | |
| 2330 EST | |
I did a lot better on judging my clothing needs tonight. My feet and hands were cold and my upper arms a little cold but my core was only a little cool. I think I will be in good shape once I dig the winter clothes out of storage and have the electric vest.