That means that at 0200 we turn the clocks back one hour to 0100.
And in another hour it will be 0200 so we should turn the clocks back to 0100 then.
And in another hour it will be 0200 so we should turn the clocks back to 0100 then.
And in another hour . . .
Think of how much money will be saved by not having to buy holiday gifts. The greeting card and florist industries will be bankrupt.
The MacBook and iPad are set up to strike ships bells on the hour and half hour but neither of them struck any bells at 0200/0100. The MacBook also announces the time on the hour and it was silent at 0200/0100. The MacBook, which gets its time from an NTS, reported the time as 0100 at 0200. The iPad is supposed to get its time from an NTS but runs 20-30 minutes fast when it does so I had already manually set the time back to 0000 at 0100. My digital wall clock/weather station that is supposed to get the correct time via radio signals, but not from WWV, says it is 0200. And this blog post, which was published at 0213/0113 was tagged with the new time. I wonder what happened to my End of the World countdown timer over there on the right. Maybe we have an hour longer to live now.
At the new 0130 neither the MacBook nor the iPad struck ships bells and the wall clock/weather station says it is 0230.
I checked the MacBook and iPad and the ships bells and time announcement settings look fine. By the new 0156 the wall clock/weather station had adjusted itself to the new time. At the new 0200 the MacBook struck four bells but the iPad only struck two. It appears that even though the iPad is set for manual time configuration it still knows to adjust the time for DST/ST so I had to go in and set the time forward by an hour.
I have had to reset the clocks on 15 devices that do not connect to an NTS and I know of at least one more that still needs to be reset but that is an Arduino so I should be able to figure out how to have it check the time from the attached GPS unit and reset itself as necessary. Should being the operative word there.
So I am standing there washing dishes, which is pretty much a mindless task, and my mind, not having much else to to, begins to wander. It only wanders as far back as to early this morning when we switched out time reference from Daylight Saving Time to Standard Time when it became engaged. And I begin thinking: what happened to the stars when we set the clocks back. The conventional wisdom is that there is no change in their motion. But who among us has empirical evidence that that is a fact. I, for one, have never made that observation. I know that if I had gone out and observed the stars at 2200 last night [3Nov2012] and had gone out to observe them again just now [2200 4Nov2012] they would be in very different locations. Far different than what my past experience with night to night star position change would lead me to anticipate. So did the stars jump when we changed the clocks. I propose to rectify that deficit in my knowledge by going out to observe the sky at the moment of the next clock change, weather permitting, if I remember. I am sure that the stars will continue to rotate in their stately motion as they have for countless millennia. But then I myself have no empirical evidence that that has taken place either, or even that there have even been countless millennia.