Sunday, April 5, 2009

5 April 2009

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when open.

Thomas Dewar




Observing LocationBroadway @ Grand Street, New York, NY
Lat.: 40.7267384089516
Long.: -73.9930057525635
Observational Period1955-2020 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated Clouds
Temperature61°F
WindCalm
gusting to
Light Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.75" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeMild

There had been some clouds to the north earlier but I don’t see them now. There are, however, occasional stripes of cloud scudding across the sky.

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationLeo
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.1955 EDT
CommentsI had seen the Moon up at Thompson Street and E 3 St in The Village earlier but the sky was still too bright to see any stars nearby.

The Moon is past First Quarter but a good way from Full. I can make out maria although my eyesight is not good enough to permit me to identify them. There is no earthshine visible.

There is a bright star – Regulus – to the upper left of the Moon about 3° distant. Another bright star – Saturn – is about 15° to the NE.

Lunation1067
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
Age10.32921d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
373,794.6 km
s
Elongation134.19° E
% Illuminated84.9%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)°
Libration in Latitude°
Libration in Longitude°
Magnitude-11.5
Angular Size31' 58.23"
Altitude47.4052°

TargetLeo
ConstellationLeo
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.1955 EDT
CommentsRegulus is visible only ~3° away from the terminator of the First Quarter + Moon.
BayerProper
Name
Mag.DistanceComments
αRegulus1.3585 lydouble
βDenebola2.1439 ly 
δZosma2.5652 ly 
γAlgieba1.9990 lydouble

Leo appears to be much higher up and further south than it was when I last observed it. Leo culminates on 15Apr.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.1955 EDT
CommentsSaturn did not appear to be particularly bright. It is at opposition on 8Apr09 so I would think that it would be brightening now. I think it appeared brighter when I first observed it last month when it was lower in the sky so filtered by more atmosphere.
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation149.88° E
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
AU
1h 10m 49.43s
Distance
(from Sun)
8.5158086 AU
Angular Size"x"
Ring
Angular
Size
"x"
Ring
Inclination
°
Magnitude0.6
Altitude36.1094°

TargetProcion
ConstellationCMi
CategoryStar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.2010 EDT
CommentsProcion was the only star visible in that part of the sky.
BayerProper
Name
Mag.DistanceComments
αProcion0.3811.4 ly 

TargetSirius
ConstellationCMa
CategoryStar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.2010 EDT
CommentsSpica was very bright, brighter than Saturn, although it was low in the sky. It was the only star visible in the constellation.
BayerProper
Name
Mag.DistanceComments
αSirius-1.4686 ly 

TargetOrion
ConstellationOri
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.2010 EDT
CommentsOrion is still visible although I have to work to initially pull out the Belt stars to confirm my identification of Betelgeuse. I was able to find three of the Club stars and the bottom Sword star.
BayerProper
Name
Mag.DistanceComments
αBetelgeux0.50310 lyvariable
λHeka3.39  
γBellatrix1.64360 ly 
ζAlnitak1.771100 ly 
εAlnilam1.701200 ly 
δMintaka2.232350 lyvariable
double
βRigel0.12900 lyvariable
double
κSaiph2.062200 
μ 
 
ν 

TargetTaurus
ConstellationTau
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.2010 EDT
CommentsI was not able to detect M45.
BayerProper
Name
Mag.DistanceComments
αAldeberan0.8568 ly 
βElnath1.65130 ly 

TargetAuriga
ConstellationAur
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.2010 EDT
CommentsI was not able to detect M45.
BayerProper
Name
Mag.DistanceComments
αCapella0.0842 ly 
βMenkalinan 1.9072 ly 
θ 2.6282 ly 
ιHassaleh2.69267 ly 
εAlnaz2.994600 lyvariable



Observing LocationGreat Jones Street (Bowery/Lafayette), New York, NY
Lat.: 40.7267384089516
Long.: -73.9930057525635
Observational Period2030-2105 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated Clouds
Temperature61° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.75" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeMild

There may be more clouds there than I am seeing. I sense that they are building but can’t say that for sure. I don’t think conditions are as good as they were earlier but now I am looking to the north where I saw clouds earlier in the evening.

TransparencyGood
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 5 Flare
ConstellationCep
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090405.2100 EDT
CommentsThe satellite rose slowly from out of the rooftops heading slightly to the W and was at a constant brightness until it winked out.
Alt.21°
Az.359°
N
Mag.-2
SurfaceMMA2



I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.

Arthur Hays Sulzberger