Thursday, April 30, 2009

29 April 2009

Observing LocationMadison Ave @ 36 St, New York, NY
Lat.: 40° 44′ 54.92″
Long.: -73° 58′ 53.18″
Observational Period2030 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature52°F
WindLight Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.47" Hg
Falling
Feels LikeCool

From where we were I could only see one stripe of cloud but when I got down to Madison Square Park where I had a somewhat more open horizon the sky was about 50% covered.

TransparencyFair
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
I met Peter tonight at SIBL for a lecture on the architecture of Central park.

He gave me an astronomy diary that he brought back for me when he was in Japan around the New Year. Everything but the numbers and pictures is in Kanji but I am figuring some of it out.

After the lecture we went to a nearby Starbucks and talked about astronomy and miscellaneous other stuff. When we left the Starbucks I looked up and the sky above Madison Ave appeared mostly clear. I saw a star and then as my eyes adjusted to the darker light three more. It didn’t take long for me to figure out that that first star was Saturn and the others were part of Leo’s body. I knew Regulus and Denebola and Peter came up with Algieba. He saw the haunch star (Zosma) and I detected something out in that area. I didn’t see the rest of the Cycle stars but didn’t spend a lot of time looking for them.