Thursday, April 16, 2009

16 April 2009

Observing LocationBowery @ E Houston St, New York, NY
Observational Period0900-0915 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature50° F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure30.28" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeCool

When the wind picks up it feels a bit chilly.

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

When I went out it was beautifully clear with a nice blue sky so I immediately wondered if there might be some astronomical targets about. I think Venus would be about the only thing bright enough to be seen in this much daylight and suspect that it is a morning star now but have no idea where to begin looking for it.

Rises0451 EDT
Transits1106 EDT
Sets1721 EDT
Alt.43.3526°
Az.133.8516°
SE
ConstellationPsc
Mag.-4.5
I should have remembered that Venus would be near the sun (Elongation 27.77° W).

I also thought of a rising waning crescent Moon and looked to the east but haven’t checked a calendar lately so don’t know the phase of the Moon now. When I got to Houston St I could see a sliver of sky in the SW and there was the setting waning gibbous moon just before last quarter at ~20° Alt.

TargetMoon
ConstellationSgr
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090416.0900 EDT
CommentsThe moon was pale in the sky but very obvious.
There is still a belly in the terminator.
There was some light mottling but it would be stretching it to say that I saw maria.
The Moon is still too fully illuminated for earthshine to be evident.

Lunation1067
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age20.87088d
Last Quarter – 1.03d
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
404,176.7 km
1.35s
Elongation100.11° E
% Illuminated59.8%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)°
Libration in Latitude°
Libration in Longitude°
Magnitude-10.4
Angular Size29' 41.3"
Altitude14.8691°



It appears as though NASA has given up hope that the Shuttle program will eventually be extended and is preparing to cut the cord.

In a 13Apr09 Spaceflight Now story they report that in a note sent to Shuttle engineers by program manager John Shannon, which was "obtained by CBS News," he says

It is my position that we cannot continue to spend money to retain the capability to fly additional space shuttle missions, hoping that someone will recognize the national assets we are giving up.

Emphasis seems to be shifting from completing ISS construction to managing the remaining shuttle program to "leave the International Space Station in the best configuration possible."

An alternate read is that the note was leaked by management in a last ditch effort to put pressure on the administration to extend the Shuttle mission until the Crew Expedition Vehicle is ready to take its place.

The Bush administration had mandated that the Shuttle program be closed out at the end of the 2010 budget year in September but the Obama administration has extended that deadline to the end of the 2010 calendar year but seems unwilling to extend it any further.

Spaceflight Now
Space.com