| Observing Location | PSC |
| Observational Period | 1100-1145 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Broken Clouds |
| Temperature | 64° F |
| Wind | Light Breeze |
| Humidity | High |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.25" Hg Falling |
| Feels Like | Cool |
There was no boiling evident so I addressed seeing as I. If I had factored in the cloud texture that was passing over the Sun I would have had to have dropped it to a III or IV.
|
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Vir |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20081014.1100 EDT |
| Comments |
Distance Light Time | 0.997 AU 8m 18s |
| Angular Size | 31' 7.7" |
| Altitude | 36.1° |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | 5.88° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 123.45° |
Parallactic Angle (P) | 26.20° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2075 |
Since I didn’t see the spots with the Brunton binocular on Sunday I dug out the defunct Canon IS binocular and dusted off the filter figuring even if I could only see through half of it I might see the spot with the increased magnification.
I had forgotten how nice the white sun looks filling up nearly the entire FoV of the Baader filtered 15x IS binocular. The electronics seem to still be working so the view was rock solid but the right side is messed up somewhere along the line.
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 1 | 0 | 11 |
| South | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| Total | 1 | 1 | 11 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
- Group 1005
-
| Heliographic Latitude | 41° |
| Heliographic Longitude | 143° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2075 |
| Mcintosh System | Axx
|
|---|
This is a Cycle 24 group.
I started observing with the Brunton so I wouldn’t know where to look for the spot when using the lower magnification and didn’t see anything. With the Canon IS I saw one spot that looked like a hyphen.
|
|---|
|
I went past my communal roost on the way home and it is absolutely quiet.