Sunday, August 31, 2008

31 August 2008

Observing LocationMcGraw Ave @ White Plains Rd
I moved around quite a bit to keep Venus in sight, from over the Cross Bronx Expressway to the Cross Bronx Expressway north service road and Leland Ave (Lat.: 40° 50' 4.77", Long.: -73° 51' 50.02")
Observational Period1900-2030 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverIsolated Clouds
Temperature80
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.10" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeMild

There was a general light haze and out on the western horizon up to ~20° thin stratus clouds. The humidity is just over the moderate threshold.

TransparencyGood
SeeingI
Instruments Golden Gate 7x35 binocular
Unless otherwise noted all observations other than sunspots were made with the Golden Gate binocular.

Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter – Charlie Cokin 003 Professional red filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLeo
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080831.1900 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 24s
Angular Size31' 44.8"
Altitude4.5°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
7.20°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
339.81°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
21.13°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2074

Nothing Seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

TargetFirst CrescentMoon
ConstellationLeo
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080808.1910 EDT
Comments
Lunation1060
PhaseWaxing Crescent
Age1d 3h 11m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
382,163 km
1.27s
Elongation14.5°
% Illuminated1.50%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)279.8°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)99.0°
Libration in Latitude4° 43'
Libration in Longitude5° 41'
Magnitude-5.4
Angular Size31.27'
Altitude5° 41'

Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Not Seen
Tonight being the night of the first crescent Moon and the sky appearing clear, I went out to try to make a sighting. Unfortunately this was a poor apparition, the Moon being below the ecliptic and only ~2.5° higher in elevation than the Sun. By the time the Sun had set behind buildings on my horizon the Moon was down into the clouds presenting a low contrast condition that my red filter could not overcome.

TargetFour Planet Gathering
ConstellationVir
CategoryConjunctions
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080831.1915 EDT
CommentsWhen I checked Planetarium for Moon data I noticed that Venus, Mercury and Mars were sliding down the ecliptic ~23° behind the Moon and within the Golden Gate binocular’s 10° FoV.

Starry Night Starter graphic
Mercury is the low corner of the triangle and Mars the upper left.

Solar System Live graphic

I thought that these three planets might include a fourth, Earth, if viewed from somewhere else so I expanded the view on the orrery and found that when viewed from Neptune the Earth would also appear near Mercury, Venus and Mars.


Solar System Live graphic

Starry Night Starter graphic view from Neptune

1725
EST
I found Venus (Mag. -3.9> in the binocular and located it naked-eye four minutes later
1752
EST
Mercury (Mag. 0.0) became visible just above the horizon
I never found Mars (Mag. 1.7).
1930 EDTSunset
Civil Twilight begins
1944 EDTMoonset
1958 EDTCivil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins

TargetJupiter
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080831.2010 EDT
Comments
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation123.6°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
4.53 AU
37m 41s
Distance
(from Sun)
5.16 AU
Angular Size43.5" x 40.6"
Magnitude-2.5
Central Meridian
I/II
98°/42°
Altitude25.4°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic
Jupiter looks large even to the naked eye.
 Naked-eyeGolden Gate
7x35
Brunton
8x21
Jupiter
Mag. -2.5
seenseenseen
Jupiter moonseenseen 
Nunki
Mag. 2.05
seenseenseen
ν1 Sgr
Mag. 4.86
 seen 
ν2 Sgr
Mag. 5.00
 seen 
ξ2
Mag. 3.52
 seen 



Sunspots Observed

I haven't seen a spot since 30Mar08.

Observing Hours for the Year 2008

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan2.2590.252.7550.555.00130.38
Feb3.2590.368.2571.1811.25120.94
Mar5.25100.538.50120.7113.75160.86
Apr6.25190.335.75 70.8212.00190.63
May6.50180.362.25 50.45 8.75180.49
Jun5.25200.2612.00 81.5017.25210.82
Jul5.05150.3715.25101.5320.75171.22
Aug5.00180.312.0030.677.50180.42
TOTAL39.751180.3456.75571.0096.501350.71

Climate Summary for June 2008

Temperature

Precipitation

Cooling Degree Days