Sunday, August 3, 2008

3 August 2008

Observing LocationPKR
Observational Period1145-1200 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature78° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.83" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeWarm

Beuatiful blue sky with fair-weather cumulus

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080803.1145 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 26s
Angular Size31' 34.6"
Altitude61.8°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
6.0°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
354.0°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
11.99°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2073

Nothing Seen

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period2030-2045 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
becoming
Broken Clouds
Temperature79° F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.83" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeMild

It is very breeze in this nearly enclosed, although large, area. The flag is extended a good part of the time and I can see and hear plastic that was protecting a corner of a building that is being pointed flapping in the wind.

Clouds are covering most of the sky but there are some gaps out to the NE. The transparency is good where you can see the sky – I can see the right side of the ice cream cone of Boötes.

The air feels much dryer than the 56% relative humidity that is being reported.

TransparencyGood/Poor
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

2010 EDTSunset
Civil Twilight begins
2040 EDTCivil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins

TargetISS Visible Pass
ConstellationCan-Cas-Lac-Peg
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080803.2040 EDT
Comments
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time2040:22 EDT2042:45 EDT2045:08 EDT
Alt.10°22°10°
Az.NNWNNEENE
Mag-0.4
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time2038:06 EDT2042:45 EDT2046:02 EDT
Alt.horizon22.1°5.7°
Az.312.8°
NW
23.9°
NNE
86.8°
E
Mag3.3-2.3-1.6
I got lucky and the pass was in a fairly clear parch of sky.
It was surprisingly bright in a twilight sky and I think the CalSky brightness estimate is closer to the fact than that of Heavens Above.

By 2115 it was windy enough that I couldn’t read any longer for fear of the wind doing damage to the pages of my bool.

2118 EDTNautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins
2120 EDTMoon sets
2159 EDTAstronomical Twilight ends
I have not heard many cicada since last week’s heavy rain. Tonight there was only one insect that called briefly.



Observing LocationWhite Plains Road @ McGraw Ave, Bronx, NY
Observational Period2205-2320 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverBroken Clouds
becoming
Overcast
Temperature74° F
WindGentle Breeze
gusting to
Moderate Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.88" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeMild - Cool

The wind is blowing plastic liners out of the wire mesh trash cans. Trash is blowing up and down the sidewalk.

By 2300 it was overcast and I could no longer locate Jupiter. There was a tiny dark spot over where the flare should occur so I stuck it out in case I got extremely lucky and the clouds broke up or the flare occurred in the small clear patch of sky.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetISS Visible Pass
ConstellationLeo-Com-Boo
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080803.2215 EDT
Comments
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time2215:21 EDT2217:29 EDT2217:29 EDT
Alt.10°36°36°
Az.WNWWW
Mag-1.0
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time 2213:19EDT 2213:19EDT2213:19 EDT
Alt.horizon37.9°37.9°
Az.302.5°259.4°259.4°
Mag2.2-3.1-3.1
The ISS popped out of the top of a cloud bank on the horizon and moments later went behind a stripe of clouds a little higher up but it was visible through the cloud for half of the time. It headed up toward Arcturus and, to the naked eye, appeared to occult the star. It faded from view about 10° to the upper left of Arcturus.

This is another one that there is an appreciable difference in the magnitude estimates of Heavens Above and CalSky.

TargetIridium 52 Flare
ConstellationVir
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080803.2315 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

 Heavens
Above
CalSky
Time2315:05 EDT2315:05 EDT
Alt.11°11.1°
Az.257°
WSW
257.0°
WSW
Mag.-2-3.0
Surface MMA0



I found my Pupil Gauge today so decided to find out how big my pupils are. During the daytime in my apartment they measured about 3.25 mm. At night outside they were 5.25 mm and when I got home and tested them in my darkened apartment they were ou to 5.75 mm.

I found a link on the web indicating that my pupil should, based on my age, be between 5 mm and 4.1 mm, probably closer to 4.1 mm.

I searched my blog for "pupil gauge" to see if there has been any change from when I got the gauge but don't find any listings so don't know how my eyes have changed over time. But I do know that my arms have shrunk again.