Thursday, August 21, 2008

21 August 2008

Observing LocationCDLD
Observational Period0915-0930 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature70° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.29" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeWarm

There is a very light haze but it is otherwise clear and beautiful.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLeo
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080821.0915 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.01 AU
8m 25s
Angular Size31' 40.5"
Altitude33.5°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
6.93°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
117.30°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
18.22°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2073

Nothing Seen
Space Weather is displaying an image of sunspots taken by an (amateur ?) observer in Slovakia that shows what are described as small but rapidly growing spots that have just rotated onto the earth-facing surface of the Sun. They are too small to appear in the SOHO images or in my optics.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



About a month ago I was walking home and my eye caught something on the sidewalk. Backtracking I recognized it as a cicada. Backtracking again I thought to pick it up if it were dead, which it was. I have finally gotten around to photographing it and processing the images. They aren't great, but do illustrate the insect.

This is the business side of the insect.

From the description of the sound-making apparatus I think this is it although I can't figure out its mechanics.

The giveaway for people finding these things is the eyes, which are huge.

The insect has a large proboscus that, according to the literature, is about as dangerous to humans as that of a butterfly.

When I woke up the other day I heard a few cicads calling so stuck a microphone out the window and recorded( 1.14 MB MP3 file) them (and a lot of the other noise I have to listen to when my windows are open).



Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period2100-2115 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature70° F
WindCalm
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.26" Hg
Steady
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I was on my way home to dinner and saw Jupiter so decided to walk around the oval seeing what else might be there. Then I remembered that I had my binocular in my bag so got it out and walked around again.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080821.2100 EDT
CommentsJupiter was low over the apartment buildings directly across from me and looked huge and very bright. With the binocular I thought I saw a moon on the eastern limb (it would have been Europa) but it is hard to hold the small binocular still to view close objects. Nunki was very obvious to the lower right of the planet.

Starry Night Starter graphic
Object
Class
Classical Planet
Elongation133.6°
Distance
Light Time
(from Earth)
4.41 AU
36m 42s
Distance
(from Sun)
5.16 AU
Angular Size44.6" x 41.7"
Magnitude-2.6
Central Meridian
I/II
350°/10°
Altitude25.9°
Moons

Starry Night Starter graphic

TargetAquila
ConstellationAql
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080821.2100 EDT
Comments Tarazed (Mag. 2.71) was obviously red above brighter Altair (Mag. 0.76) and Alshain (Mag. 3.71) was just visible beneath them.

TargetCygnus
ConstellationCyg
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080821.2100 EDT
CommentsI picked out Deneb (Mag. 1.25), Sadr (Mag. 2.23), Gienah Cygni (Mag. 2.48), δ Cyg (Mag. 2.86) and Alberio (Mag. 3.05). With the binocular I was not able to see the duplicity of Alberio. I may have seen a few more of the wing and neck stars.

TargetUrsa Major
ConstellationUMa
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080821.2100 EDT
CommentsI saw all of the dipper stars but Megrez. I even saw Alcor (Mag. 3.99) but didn’t think to look for the Three Leaps of the Gazelle.

TargetUrsa Minor
ConstellationUMi
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080821.2100 EDT
CommentsI found Polaris (Mag. 1.97), Kochab (Mag. 2.07) and Pherkad (Mag 3.00).

TargetBootes
ConstellationBoo
CategoryConstellation
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080821.2100 EDT
CommentsArcturus (Mag. -0.06) was just above the top of the building opposite. I donn’t remember seeing Murfid (Mag. 2.68)