Thursday, February 28, 2008

28 February 2008

Observing LocationChief Dennis L. Devlin Park, Bronx, NY
Observational Period1000-1015 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature21°F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.06" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeVery Cold
Wind Chill 6°F

It doesn’t seem to be as windy as they were predicting and there isn’t much going on in the way of gusting but it is still very cold.

TransparencyFair
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAqr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080228.1000 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.991 AU
8m 14s
Angular Size32' 20.7"
Altitude33.5°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-7.21°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
269.18°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-21.26°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2067

Space Weather indicates that Group 983 is still there but when I look at the high resolution SoHo image all I see is a little bit of plage. I don’t see anything in my binocular.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



There was lots of news yesterday on the planned return to the lunar surface.




My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants.

The National Geographic society has held a contest to devise a mnemonic to help remember the order of the current 11 planets. Space.com says that a 10-year-old girl has won the contest but they aren't saying what the mnemonic is. I did find it on a blog, however.