Tuesday, February 26, 2008

25 February 2008

Observing LocationMcGraw Ave @ White Plains Road
Observational Period1710-1725 EST
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverClear
Temperature47°F
WindCalm
HumidityLow
Barometric Pressure29.88" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeVery Mild

It feels like spring although there is still a lot of snow piled up around the curbs still left over from the last storm.

TransparencyExcellent
SeeingI
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binocular w/Welco gold shade 14 welder's filter - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationAqr
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2008 EST
Comments
Distance
Light Time
0.990 AU
8m 14s
Angular Size32' 22.0"
Altitude5.3°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-7.16°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
304.76°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-20.54°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2067

Nothing Seen
The sun was just starting to set into the buildings to the south of the Cross Bronx Expressway.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South0 0 0
Total0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

TargetIridium 20 Flare
ConstellationCet
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20080225.1723 EST
CommentsI am not sure if I saw this flare or not. At that time I saw a bright flash in the area where the flare should have been. It faded very quickly as I would expect an Iridium flare to do in a bright sky and only around 95° away from the Sun. Then there was another longer flash and more flashes followed. CalSky didn’t give any indication that there would be multiple flashes. Between the flashes I thought I saw a dark gray dot. It was like the flashing of the “Midnight Sun” beneath a police helicopter comight straight at you except that the flashes weren’t regular enough and the track of the object was across my field of vision. I don’t think a satellite is big enough to be seen naked-eye as a dark dot even if you know exactly where to look. I wasn’t able to find it in the binocular. I suspect that I was seeing the sun glinting off of the wings and/or fuselage of a plane but none of the other planes in that area exhibited any flashes and I didn’t see any colored lights in the interval between the flashes.
Alt.42.3°
Az.206.4°
Mag.-6.5

1740 ESTSunset
Civil Twilight begins
1808 ESTCivil Twilight ends
Nautical Twilight begins
1840 ESTNautical Twilight ends
Astronomical Twilight begins
1912 ESTAstronomical Twilight ends