Wednesday, February 29, 2012

29 February 2012

It is kinda poetic that a post musing about time should appear on Leap Day.

I was looking for the time of sunset the other day. My clocks don't have numbers small enough for sunrises so their time is pretty much irrelevant for me. Anyway, I figured an Almanac program would be a good place to look for information like that. But the times it listed were off the wall so I figured they must be UT, but applying our offset only made matters worse. So I tried another iPad program or three and found that the programs that did list reasonable times did not always agree. That got me looking into all of the programs that I have that list sunrise and sunset times. I found that there was better agreement among the various programs about what time the Sun would wake up than what time he would go to sleep. Some variation may be due to some programs using GPS/IP location which is not always accurate while others may pull my location from a database, and not all of them think NYC is in the same place. But I would expect those errors to be in the neighborhood of seconds and deoending on how each program deals with the seconds (rounding vs. truncating) that might introduce a difference of a minute. It would seem that the algorithm for calculating these times should be a known standard and that all programs should come up with the same times.

ProgramSunriseSunset
US Naval Observatory06321745
SkySafari06321745
Star Walk06321745
SkyORB0630:181745:40
GoSkyWatch06311745
Distant Suns 206311745
LightTrac06321746
Sun Moon06311748
Sky Almanac01111211
Twilight Moon06321746
Daylight Cal06321740
Mr Sun06321745
Golden Light06321745
Sunrise & Sunset06311745
Magic Hour0632 
Emerald Observatory06311743
Planets06321745
Grand Tour09382059



Today is one of those days during the year where the date and time form interesting patterns. I forget what the official name for this class of events is or for this pattern in particular but the name natiomer, for a chemical compound that comes in two mirror imag forms, has always stuck with me and if today were a chemical compound it would be a natiomer.

2.29.12 12:29:2



Sunspots

Observing Hours for the Year 2012

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan0.0000.001.0011.001.0011.00
Feb6.7561.1313.7562.2920.5092.28
TOTAL6.7561.1314.7572.1121.50102.25

 Days With
Observing
Time Spent
Observing
Jan123.23%0.13%
Feb1231.03%2.95%
2012 To Date16.67%1.49%