Sunday, March 11, 2012

11 March 2012

I got a calendar alarm last night reminding me that Daylight Saving Time began today at 0200 so I went around and reset all my clocks that required manual adjustment.
  • the clock radio next to my bed
  • the DotKlok on the chest of drawers
  • my wristwatch
  • my Solder :Time wristwatch
  • the microwave
  • my Brunton ADC wind gauge
  • my ham radio
I am sure I have forgotten something but can't remember what it is.  Then I set an alarm for 0156 (0256 on my wristwatch that was already set to DST) so I can listen to my computer and watch my radio-controlled clock to see how they deal with the situation.

The computer is set up to strike ship's time on the half hour and to also announce the time in speech on the hour.  But at 0100 all it did was strike two bells.  I have often felt that the computer was not announcing the time but never know whether it really isn't announcing it or it is and I have become so accustomed to hearing it that I just don't hear it anymore.  The computer neither announced the time nor struck the bells at 0200/0300 and it didn't strike bells at 0330 either.  The iPad has updated but I didn't see it happen.

The radio-controlled clock rolled over to 0200 and stayed there for a while.  I went to look at the time on the computer and when I looked back at the clock at 0300:45 it had updated to 0300.

And the GPS sitting on the Arduino that is in the process of being made into on occultation event timer is happily reporting Universal Time as before.