Monday, November 3, 2008

3 November 2008

I decided to look more at the length of sunlight, and eariest and latest sunrise and sunset relative to the solstices and start and end of daylight saving time.

I started with the event that is going on right now. It charted out pretty cleanly.

Then I went back and worked on the Summer Solstice events. First I found that I had to input data for one more month to cover the switch from Standard Time to Daylight Saving Time and the longest day of the year. When I got all of the data inputted and applied some conditional formatting to the spreadsheet to identify the date(s) of earliest sunrise, latest sunset and longest daylight I found that there was a lot of overlap between them.

Eariest Sunrise12-16Jun08
Longest Day15-16Jun08
18-25Jun08
Latest Sunset22Jun08-3Jul08
This made it harder to color code the chart to identify the days. And yes, there is a short day in that run of longest days.