Friday, October 17, 2014

17 October 2014

I have been doing some research on photographing eclipses on Fred Espenak's Mr. Eclipse web site. I started looking for solar filters for my camera and found the Hoya X400 neutral density filter listed as being good for eclipse photography on both Fred's pages and in the Adorama web page. That wasn't until after I had emailed Peter Lipschutz down at Adorama to ask what they had that would work. They also sell a real solar filter for an 80mm telescope that would probably work but once I found the ND filter could be used I thought it would be the better deal since I could also use it for normal photography.

Fred had a table on eclipse photography exposure that I have adapted to my camera, the X400 filter and this eclipse (which the current weather says may be in the clouds):



















Solar Eclipse Exposure
ISOf/Number
1002.845.681116
2002.845.681116
40045.681116
8005.681116
160081116
32001116
640016
12800
 
Eclipse FeatureQShutter Speed
Partial 4.0 ND111/40001/20001/1000
Partial 5.0 ND81/40001/20001/10001/5001/2501/125
Partial 6.0 ND51/10001/5001/2501/1251/601/301/15
Partial 7.0 ND21/1251/601/301/151/81/41/2
Partial 8.0 ND-11/151/81/41/21
Partial 9.0 ND-41/21
Exposure Formula: t = f2 / (I*2Q)
t = exposure time (seconds); f = f/number; I = ISO; Q = Brightness Exponent

As I understand the table, I am to select my ISO and read across the line to the f-stop I want to use then read down to see the shutter speed to use for the circumstances of the eclipse that apply. I don't want to use an ISO greater than 400 to minimize noise in the images and I would want to use the smallest f-stop possible to allow for maximum focus wiggle room. But with the X400 filter my only shutter speed options are 1/2 second and slower and that is going to show earth movement by stretching the Sun and Moon so I will only be able to use this filter for eclipse photographs at 1/2 second and f4.

Unfortunately all of the camera stores are closed in observance of Sukkot and I have a photography class to attend on Sunday when they reopen (and it is sea chantey Sunday if I didn't have the class) so I will not be able to get to Adorama before Monday morning. I am hoping that Peter or Mike cam validate my chart and assumptions.