Saturday, December 31, 2011

31 December 2011

The forecast said the clouds would dissipate enough at 1900 to get a bit of Jupiter and the First Quarter Moon so I headed up to TotL with the Mini Mak to see the fireworks. It didn't look like I was going to see anything but the fireworks while I was walking up there but by the time I arrived it was clear although not many stars were visible due to the haze.

It took me 30 minutes to get the Orion EZFinder Deluxe realigned with the Mini Mak after having last used it on the mortar. Later in the evening I found that it was off when sighting objects low in the W. I sighted in on a nearby lamp post then refined my settings on the top of a distant building. Until now I have been using the circle with dot reticle but think I like the circle over crosshairs better. I tried doing a drift test to confirm that the circle is 1° but have not done the calculations on it yet.

Just before the fireworks started I got Mars through the trees in Manhattan NE.




Exoplanets

Nearly twice as many exoplanets were discovered this year than last year (196 vs 108) and over 1/4 (27.37%) of all known exoplanets were discovered this year.

The rate of discovery has continued to accelerate.

Taking a longer view nearly half (41%) as many exoplanets have been discovered in the first year of this decade (2011-2020; 196 exoplanets) as in all of the prior decade (2000-2010; 471 exoplanets).

Of the known exoplanets, 149 (20%) are within the habitable zone of their exosun and 223 (31%) are members of multi-exoplanets systems.

Method of discovery:

MethodDiscoveries
Radial Velocity457
Transiting200
Microlensing14
Direct Imaging28
Eyeball Observation0



Observing Hours for the Year 2011

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan0.0000.002.0012.002.0012.00
Feb0.0000.002.0012.002.0012.00
Mar0.0000.007.0032.337.0032.33
Apr0.0000.008.2524.138.2524.13
May1.2530.4216.0053.2017.2572.46
Jun0.0000.004.0014.004.0014.00
Jul3.5040.8814.0052.8017.5082.19
Aug2.7570.396.5023.259.2581.16
Sep0.5010.504.5014.505.0022.50
Oct3.5040.8811.5042.8815.0072.14
Nov6.5051.3013.7552.7520.2592.25
Dec2.0030.6726.5064.4228.5064.75
TOTAL20.00270.74116.00363.22136.00552.47