| Observing Location | BP |
| Observational Period | 0930-0945 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 78° F |
| Wind | Light Breeze |
Wind Chill Effect Heat Index | 78° F |
| Humidity | 52% |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.19" Hg 1 |
| KNYC METAR | 311351Z AUTO 04007KT 360V070 10SM CLR 26/15 A3022 RMK AO2 SLP223 T02560150 TSNO |
| Feels Like | Warm |
|
| Instruments | Celestron C70 Mini Mak Spotting Scope w/Kendrick solar filter
Celestron Outland 8x42 binocular |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Sunspots |
| Constellation | Tau |
| Category | Solar |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20110531.0940 EDT |
Distance Light Time | 1.01 AU 8m 26s |
| Angular Size | 31' 33" |
| Altitude | 45° 23' |
Heliographic Latitude (B0) | -0.77° |
Heliographic Longitude (L0) | 69.33° |
Parallactic Angle (P) | -15.73° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2110 |
| | Comments | I tried making my observation with the Mini Mak again this morning and again I couldn't find the Sun. I thought it might have been an altitude issue but took the scope off the tripod and swept the sky with it and didn't even see a flash of light. I am wondering if a Maksutov this small just isn't suited to solar observing. We have used a C8 when I was solar observing with AAA but maybe the secondary mirror is proportionately larger in the smaller format. I don't know. When I got home I put the scope on the tripod on my table and measured the maximum altitude it is capable of and found that it is 60° and the sun this morning was only up at 45° so that wasn't the issue. I figured out how to use the tripod legs to adjust my azimuth. I had my protractor along to set the altitude but I didn't have my Palm so didn't know what the Sun's altitude was. I had to hold the filter over the front of my binocular to make my observation. The filter isn't large enough to cover both objectives so I lost a little in brightness and resolution but was able to see two simple sunspots. They appeared to be in the southern Hemisphere but when I brought up Helios, which compensates for phase rotation, I saw that one was actually a northern hemisphere spot.
Helios graphic
| | Groups | Spots | R |
| North | 1 | 1 | 11 |
| South | 1 | 1 | 11 |
| Total | 2 | 2 | 22 |
| R = (Groups * 10) + Spots) |
- Group 1226
-
| Heliographic Latitude | -37° |
| Heliographic Longitude | 103° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2110 |
| Mcintosh System | Axx |
- Group 1228
-
| Heliographic Latitude | 12° |
| Heliographic Longitude | 121° |
Carrington rotation number (CR) | 2110 |
| Mcintosh System | Axx |
|
|
| Observing Location | P84 |
| Observational Period | 2015-2315 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear but Hazy |
| Temperature | 73° F falling to 70° F |
| Wind | Calm gusting to Light Breeze |
Wind Chill Effect Heat Index | ° F |
| Humidity | 79% |
| Barometric Pressure | 30.17" Hg 0 |
| KNYC METAR | 010051Z AUTO VRB04KT 7SM CLR 23/19 A3019 RMK AO2 SLP214 T02280194 TSNO |
| Feels Like | It was very pleasant when I arrived at sunset but by 2300 when the humidity was up and the temperature dropping it was a little chilly |
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye - Charlie
|
|---|
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
| Target | Iridium 66 Flare |
| Constellation | UMa |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20110531.2003 EDT |
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
|---|
| Time | EDT | 2003 EDT |
| Alt. | ° | 6.4° |
| Az. | ° | 322.4° NW
| Mag. | | -1.4 |
| Surface | | MMA2 |
|
| Comments | I didn't get there in time to attempt this but then I wasn't trying all that hard since it has scheduled to happen before sunset in the west. |
|
- 2019 EDT
- Sunset
Beginning of civil Twilight
- 2051 EDT
- End of Civil Twilight
Beginning of Nautical Twilight
- 2054 EDT
- Arcturus and Saturn sighted naked-eye
| Target | Lacrosse 3 Flare |
| Constellation | UMa |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20110531.2112 EDT |
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
|---|
| Time | EDT | 2112 EDT |
| Alt. | ° | 65.1 EDT |
| Az. | ° | 292.7° NW
| Mag. | | 0.6 |
| Surface | | SAR antenna |
|
| Comments | Not Seen I thought I might have see it but what I saw was just Big Dipper handle stars shining through a thin patch of haze. |
|
- 2132 EDT
- End of nautical twilight
Beginning of astronomical twilight
- 2220 EDT
- End of astronomical twilight
| Target | Iridium 52 Flare |
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20110531.2231 EDT |
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
|---|
| Time | EDT | 2231 EDT |
| Alt. | ° | 19.1° |
| Az. | ° | 263.9° W
| Mag. | | -4.3 |
| Surface | | MMA0 |
|
| Comments | It appeared higher than advertised, more like 22° by my hand span. |
|
| Target | Iridium 53 Flare |
| Constellation | Hya |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20110531.2241 EDT |
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
|---|
| Time | EDT | 2241 EDT |
| Alt. | ° | 15.5° |
| Az. | ° | 265.2° W
| Mag. | | 0.1 |
| Surface | | MMA0 |
|
| Comments | Not Seen This was a faint flare and likely hidden by the haze/clouds low on the horizon. |
|
| Target | Iridium 62 Flare |
| Constellation | Cas |
| Category | Satellite |
Time yyyymmdd.hhmm | 20110531.2311 EDT |
| | Heavens Above | CalSky |
|---|
| Time | EDT | 2311 EDT |
| Alt. | ° | 6.3°
| Az. | ° | 24.7° NE
| Mag. | | -4.3 |
| Surface | | MMA1 |
|
| Comments | Not Seen Although a bright flare it required looking upriver where the security lighting playing on the visiting Fleet Week carrier Iwo Jima was causing a lot of light pollution. The flare should have been low over Ft Lee, NJ, which posed its own light-pollution problems. |
|
Observing Hours for the Year 2011
| | Day | Night | Total |
| Hours | Days | Avg | Hours | Days | Avg | Hours | Days | Avg |
| Jan | 0.00 | 0 | 0.00 | 2.00 | 1 | 2.00 | 2.00 | 1 | 2.00 |
| Feb | 0.00 | 0 | 0.00 | 2.00 | 1 | 2.00 | 2.00 | 1 | 2.00 |
| Mar | 0.00 | 0 | 0.00 | 7.00 | 3 | 2.33 | 7.00 | 3 | 2.33 |
| Apr | 0.00 | 0 | 0.00 | 8.25 | 2 | 4.13 | 8.25 | 2 | 4.13 |
| May | 1.25 | 3 | 0.42 | 16.00 | 5 | 3.20 | 17.25 | 7 | 2.46 |
| TOTAL | 1.25 | 3 | 0.42 | 35.25 | 12 | 2.94 | 36.50 | 14 | 2.61 |