Sunday, May 29, 2011

29 May 2011

My solar filter for the grab-'n'-go scope arrived Friday from Kendrick Astro Instruments.
I had to get a larger filter than needed because I wanted their old style filter cell and they no longer have that size available. The cell is for an ETX 90 and is appropriate for an OTA with an OD of 95-108 mm. My scope diameter is about 89 mm. They sent me a strip of adhesive-backed felt to shim the cell and a set of longer nylon screws. I found that the stock screws are just long enough to properly hold the filter in place. After the screws compress the scope's rubber jacket I will probably have to start using the longer screws.

This filter is made with Baader AstroSolar film which I prefer to the more usual glass filters that give an orange view of the Sun. As well as being white or slightly blue I feel that the Baader filters provide a sharper and more contrasty image.

I also picked up an old tripod from a friend. It isn't all that stable but will allow me to use the scope without a table as long as it isn't windy. With a notmal photographic head on the tripod pointing the scope will be a little tricky.