Monday, June 21, 2010

21 June 2010

Observing LocationMcGraw-Hill Sun Triangle
Observational Period1200-1300 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud Coverisolated Clouds
Temperature84° F
WindLight Breeze
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
83° F
Humidity41%
Barometric Pressure30.01" Hg
Steady (3)
KNYC METAR211551Z AUTO VRB05KT 10SM CLR 29/14 A3003 RMK AO2 SLP158 T02890144
Feels LikeHot

TransparencyExcellent
Seeing 
InstrumentsCelestron 8x42 Outland binocular with 14 + 4 green welders glass - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
 

Target Solar Alignment
ConstellationTau
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100621.1200 EDT
       
Distance
Light Time
1.02 AU
8m 27s
Angular Size31' 29"
Altitude68.85°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
1.78°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
287.64°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-6.95°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2098
CommentsI arrived early for the Sun alignment to take some measurements.  I has already checked my SoHo app and knew that there is a sunspot group in the NW quadrant of the Sun which is supposed to be growing rapidly but is probably still too small for me to see with my 8x hand held binocular but I gave it a try anyway.  I didn't see anything through just the welders glass so gave it a try with the glass Helsinki in front of the binocular.  I wasn't able to get ten sun into sharp focus.  I suspect that there are two many air/glass boundary transitions for this system to work well.
 Groups SpotsR
North 0 0 0
South 0 0 0
Total 0 0 0
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)

The Sun Triangle points to approximately 240° magnetic.  I tried laying my iPad and compass along the edge of the pedestal but, as I suspected there would be, there appears to be a ferrous framework within the Triangle that is sheathed in a shiny metallic skin and I can't get compass readings there.

Planetarium says the Sun will be at azimuth 180° magnetic at 1241 EDT.  At 1242 EDT I measured it's azimuth to be about 186° magnetic.

The alignment appeared to have occurred at about 1257 EDT but I can't be sure of that because one of the local Druids had to stand under the point of the Triangle where he was casting a shadow where the shadow of the Triangle's point should have been.  And he was not looking either up the edge of the Triangle or back at it's shadow.