Monday, April 5, 2010

5 April 2010

Observing LocationPier 17
Observational Period EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature59° F
WindCalm
Wind Chill Effect
Heat Index
° F
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure30.14" Hg
Increasing (1)
KNYC METAR
Feels LikeMild

TransparencyFair
Seeing 
InstrumentsWest Marine 7x50 Raiatea binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film- Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
Constellation
CategoryLunar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
2010 EDT
Comments
Lunation1079
PhaseWaning Gibbous
Age20d 12h 13m
Distance
Light Time
(from earth)
394730 km
1.31s
Elongation101.33° W
% Illuminated59.5%
Morning Terminator Colongitude (λ E)163.6°
Evening Terminator Colongitude (λ W)345.6°
Libration in Latitude2° 12'
Libration in Longitude5° 24'
Magnitude-10.5
Angular Size30.27'
Altitude24° 00”
Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

Terminator
In SunlightFeatureIn Shadow
<<< Mare Serenitatis >>>
<<< Abulfeda >>>
<<< Maurolycus >>>

The Moon was behind thin clouds when I arrived and intermittently had patches of less dense clouds passing in front of it that offered better views. At one point I thought it might be clearing off but then the Sun came up and revealed the extent of cloud cover. Initially the mare were indistinct and I ware Iridiun.

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100405.0605 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
Missing this satellite in a darker sky than I will have later does not bode well for seeing STS-131.
  StartsMax. Alt.Ends
H A
e b
a o
v v
e e
n  
s  
Time0607:38 EDT0609:50 EDT0612:01 EDT
Alt.10°19°10°
Az.SSEE
Mag-0.8
C
a
l
S
k
y
Time0605:18 EDT0609:48 EDT0614:19 EDT
Alt.horizon19.6°horizon
Az.201.1
SW
133.6
SE°
66.3
ENE°
Mag-0.8-1.53.7

TargetSTS-131 Flyby & MECO
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100405:0629 EDT
CommentsDiscovery was to have been launched at 0621 EDT this morning. It should have been visible here about 4 minutes later through MECO about 8 minutes after liftoff. The secondary launch window extended until 0631 EDT and I watched until 0640 EDT but didn’t see anything. I didn’t know if the shuttle was behind the clouds through MECO, if the sky was too bright to see it, or if it wasn’t launched. When I checked on Spaceflight Now before heading out they had posed that the weather had been No Go for a while but had cleared and they were again Go for launch and the astronauts were boarding Discovery. Spaceflight Now says that Discovery did indeed lift off on schedule so that removes one of my uncertainties.

Target Sunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20100405:0700 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.00 AU
8m 19s
Angular Size32' 01.6"
Altitude4.2°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
-6.30 °
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
228.48°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
-26.26 °
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2095

The Sun was in the clouds and was going to be rising into more of them so unless they dissipate later in the day there isn’t going to be an opportunity to count any spots that night be there. I won’t say that I didn’t count any spots even though I didn’t see any.