Sunday, August 25, 2013

23 & 24 August 2013

I can't remember the last time I did any observing from TotL or even did any serious observing. It was clear this weekend so I was out both Friday and Saturday.

On Friday I was out alone. I started out at TotLE for the Sun and Venus and also got Saturn and a bright ISS pass from there.

I moved to TotL for the bulk of the night and picked up M7 in Scorpius. There was an Iridium flare that I missed. It was faint and must have been behind the trees. Within a minute there was another ISS pass.

I finished off the night at TotLW where I observed the Moon.

Saturday night I met Peter at TotLE for Venus and Saturn. We missed an Iridium flare from there due to me not having an alarm set. We were right under a street light so once the sky got dark enough that it wasn't worth observing Venus any longer we moved over to TotL where Peter concentrated on the globular clusters in lower Sagittarius and I worked on open clusters over the top of the teapot. I also found Neptune tonight. When the sprinklers came up we moved over to TotLW for some nice views of the Moon.