Friday, January 11, 2013

11 January 2013

I went down to Pier 84 today for a lunchtime NIWAKA pass but didn't hear any code.  A couple of times there was a slight lessening of the static roar but is was just a minor decrease in volume and a reduction in the "granularity" of the static - its texture seemed to be more fine grained.

 Time
local
AltAz
Beginning of Pass1213:5710°NW
Maximum Altitude1217:0567NE
End of Pass1220:1110°ESE

There was another pass this morning at 0547 EST but the park doesn't open until 0600 and I have seen the NYC Park Police there on more than one occasion so decided to pass on that pass.

When I arrived a Robin alighted on the edge of the pier and flew off as I passed nearby.  It landed on the water between Piers 84 and 83 and was quickly attecked by a mob of around 25 Ring-billed Gulls.  They pecked at the back of its neck and one succeeded in lifting it partially out of the water.  When it started flapping its wings the gulls backed off and it flew under the pier where the gulls could not follow.