Saturday, August 11, 2012

11 August 2011

Perseids Meteors

It is overcast here this morning but I think I saw a few Perseid meteors.

I was checking the weather and they are predicting heavy rain for today so I started up WeatherBug to see where it is supposed to be coming from (as of right now it looks like it will miss us). I started the image loop and caught a streak of blue on the edge of the image that I figured was an artifact. But then I saw another one a little bit lower and it didn't make sense that two radars would be showing artifacts on the same heading. On the next loop I noticed that the streaks were teardrop shaped, just like a meteor when it is streaking across the sky. When I panned down south there were more of them going in the same direction at roughly the same time. I suspect that the radars are picking up meteors as they enter the atmosphere.



WeatherBug graphics

I have submitted the screen captures to Space Weather and I am hoping they will confirm my speculation.