| Observing Location | Bowery @ E 3 St., New York, NY |
| Observational Period | 2100-2130 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions |
| Cloud Cover | Clear |
| Temperature | 74° F |
| Wind | Calm gusting to Moderate Breeze |
| Humidity | Moderate |
| Barometric Pressure | 29.83" Hg
|
| Feels Like | Warm |
|
| Instruments | Naked-eye - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway
|
|---|
It was early twilight when I saw a star up near zenith to the south that I assumed must be Vega, being the first star visible, but my memory tells me that Vega should be farther north at this time of year. I got out the Japanese astronomy diary Peter gave me which has a mini planisphere in it and it looked like it might have been Arcturus, but not reading Japanese or having used a planisphere in a while and not having sufficient light to read the few English characters on the small dial I couldn’t be sure. After a while the bright star on the left side of the diamond (ε Boo) appeared then finally the kite’s tail star (η Boo) which confirmed the ID for me. I arced back and found the handle stars of the Big Dipper and the pointers then Polaris and the guardian stars of UMi. Dropping down from Arcturus I found Spica. Then I saw something bright up north with 2 dim stars (β Lyr and γ Lyr) a way off that which I IDed as Lyra but it wasn’t as high in the sky as I remember it. Even lower was Deneb, the center of the Northern Cross (γ Cyg) and the brightest stars of the breaks of the wings (ε Cyg and δ Cyg) of Cygnus. Way out and very faint was Altair.