Sunday, May 31, 2009

30 May 2009

Observing Location6 Ave @ 14 St, New York, NY
Lat.: 40.7373724273546°
Long.: -73.9967608451843°
Observational Period1930-2015 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverScattered Clouds
Temperature71° F
WindGentle Breeze
HumidityModerate
Barometric Pressure29.73" Hg
Rising
Feels LikeMile

It had been cloudy out to the west earlier in the day but seems to be clearing up now.

TransparencyGood
Seeing 
InstrumentsNaked-eye - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Manhattan Henge
ConstellationTau
CategorySolar
Time
yyyymmdd.hhmm
20090530.2010 EDT
Comments
Distance
Light Time
1.0138652 AU
8m 26.92s
Angular Size31' 33.04"
Altitude1.15°
Heliographic Latitude
(B0)
°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
°
Parallactic Angle
(P)
°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2084

Space.com said the event would take place at 2017 EDT and at that time the sun would be ½ below the horizon. I found that the sun was lined up with the center divider line of the street at 2010 EDT and the entire sun was above the horizon which is a hill on the NJ side of the Hudson River so well above where the real horizon would be if I were looking out over the ocean.

President Obama was having dinner in the West Village when I arrived in Washington Square Park to read before the Henge event. I figured that since he was going to the theater tonight he would be leaving the Village around 1930 EDT so went up to 14 St about then. I saw the motorcade pass by and the presidential lomouisine (I thought it was supposed to be a two-tone venicle) but can't say that I saw him waving as others saw.

Space.com